Chapter 3: Graff
1. What does it first seem Graff has arrived to do? What does he really want?
At first, it seems as thought Colonel Graff has arrived at the Wiggin household to confront Ender about his previous encounter with Stilson, possibly taking him away to a place where he would be of no danger to anyone else. When Ender tell's the Colonel why he kept striking Stilson long after he had hit the ground, it was clear that all Graff wanted, was to see if Ender was adequate for Battle School. He'd already seen his physical strength, but was yet to find out his logical reasoning.
2. Why must Ender's parents let him go?
The only reason they decide to let them go is because Ender is a third, he is the government's property. Graff even informs then that he does not need their permission, but is only asking in terms of respect.
3. What word did Graff almost say?
Graff almost said "We couldn't be sure he wasn't another Peter", refrained from doing so as to keep Peter from being upset.
4. What aspects of Battle School does Graff warn Ender about?
• It will be tough. • Won't be able to see his sister for years.
• His parents will not miss him, although they love him.
• He is desperately needed at Battle School.
5. Why are Ender's parents ambiguous about his going to Battle School?
Ender's parents remain ambiguous to his leaving to battle school because even though they will be relieved of his absence - due to their lack of freedom and capability to mould in to society because of him being a third - he is still their son and they still love him.
6. Describe Valentine. How does she feel about Ender? Why wasn't she chosen for Battle School?
Valentine is Ender's older sister, she's extremely caring and has many maternal features. She protects Ender from Peter, and is the only one who truly cares for him. The main reason she wasn't chosen for Battle School was because she was too soft, too emotional to deal with the pain that Battle School would have brought her.
7. Explain how Ender is a composite between Peter and Valentine.
Ender has the physical strength of Peter, and the emotional capapility of Valentine. He is perfectly adequate for Battle School for the mere fact that he is in control of his strong emotions, and his exceptional strength.
8. Why does Ender Ultimately choose to go with Graff?
After Graff convinced Ender that he had nothing to lose, other than the absence of his sister, it became clear that he wasn't needed. He knew his place as well as his strength, he knew where he'd belonged. One of the major contributions to Ender's decision would had to have been realising his parent's uneasiness due to his existence, he thought leaving would make their life reasonably simpler.